South Beach Diet Meal Plan Reviews
What is South Beach diet?
It is a Diet, which was first developed for heart disease patients who were overweight. It was created to lower Cholesterol. Cardiologist Dr. Arthur Agarston was the founder of the diet. In this diet, he divides good and bad fats and also good and bad carbs. The diet helps in weight loss in three phrases.
Many clients had shared testimonies on the weight loss journey they went through, the positive results they had experienced when other diets failed for them.
Below are some of the reviews by clients who have used South Beach Diet plan.
- Ian loves the diet plan because it has helped him shade the stubborn weight that he has been carrying for a long time. The availability of cookbooks and recipes has enabled him to maintain his new healthy weight.
- Rhonda and her husband have been trying for the longest time to get pregnant; it was becoming a problem in their marriage. They visited a gynecologist who advises them to lose weight. They embarked on a weight loss journey with South beach diet menu. It helped them significantly, Four months after the Diet, she was pregnant, and she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.
- Clara was overweight. The doctors cautioned her on the dangers of the weight given that she has a heart condition. South Beach diet plan worked well for her; she lost all the excess kilos.
The three phases of South Beach plan
- PHRASE ONE
This is a strict phrase; it needs mind preparation and willpower. It’s an introduction to weight loss. It lasts for two weeks. Emphasis is made on consuming lean proteins, vegetables, low-fat dairy and unsaturated fats.
Foods to avoid in this phrase include Wheat products like white and pasta, cereal grains, alcohol and starch like potatoes, carrots, and corn. All types of fruits and anything sugary is discouraged in this phrase.
It’s designed for a quick weight loss. It consists of three meals and two snacks.
- PHRASE TWO
It’s less strict. Weight loss is not as fast as in phase one; here weight loss is gradual; small quantities of foods that were avoided in Phase 1 are introduced. You can’t move to the next phase until you complete phase one.
Phase 2 is mild; therefore it can accommodate children, adolescents, and breastfeeding mothers. It doesn’t have a timeframe; you can stay in phase 2 until you reach your weight goal.
In this phrase, you can have whole grains: whole wheat bread/pasta, quinoa, and brown rice.
Exercise is important in all phases, brisk walking is advised, you can alternate between brisk walking and slow walking. It helps in burning fat/calories.
- PHRASE THREE
If you’re here, Congratulations! It means you reached your weight goal in phase 2. Phase 3 is all about maintaining your new weight.
In this phrase, you can eat anything and everything in moderation; it’s all about putting into practice what you have learned in phase 1 and 2. It required discipline, as you prepare and eat your meals; emphasis is put on a balanced meal. If by bad luck you backslide and gain weight, depending on the weight gain you can always go back to phase 1 or 2 and start afresh; no one is perfect.
The good thing about South Beach diet menu, they provide guidelines on healthy cooking, recipes are even provided for you.
Foods to avoid in phase 3
- Alcohol, white pastries
- White rice
- Highly sugared fruits and dressings
SOUTH BEACH DIET PLAN SHOPPING FOOD LIST
Phase 1 shopping food list
- All types of fish
- Dairy (Low-fat milk and yogurt)
- Cheese (Mozzarella, Feta, Cheddar, cottage, Ricotta)
- Nuts and seeds (Peanuts, pumpkin, macadamia, flax, cashews sesame, walnuts, sunflower)
- Fats and Oils (Peanut, Olive, Corn, Canola, Soybean, Sunflower)
- Vegetables (Spinach, Cauliflower, Kales, Asparagus, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, parsley, peppers, okra, celery, cabbage, broccoli, scallions, sprouts)
- Spices and Seasonings (black/white/cayenne peppers, vanilla extract, natural spices, lemon, lime)
- Proteins (Canadian bacon, Loin, Tenderloin, veal, Boil harm, Turkey and chicken breasts, turkey sausage, turkey bacon)
Shopping Food list phrase 2
- Include all the foods in phase 1.
- Fruits (blueberries, cherries, grapefruit, apes, kiwi, mangoes, oranges, peaches, pears, plums, strawberries)
- Fruit-flavored yogurt
- Starches (brown rice, wild rice, whole wheat bread/pasta, quinoa, oats)
- Vegetables and legumes (beans, pinto, black eye peas, barley)
Shopping Food list phrase 3
- Grains (Oat meal, Brown rice, whole wheat bread)
- Dairy (low-fat milk, fruit-flavored yogurt)
- Vegetables (bell pepper, onions, tomatoes, celery, greens,)
- Hot pepper sauce
Easy South Beach Diet Food Recipe
Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad recipe
Ingredients: (8 Servings)
- 3 Chicken breasts, skinned and boneless
- 1 Teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 5 cups julienne sliced cabbage
- 6 Medium sliced onions (onions make food tasty)
- 3 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup almonds, dry roasted
- Dressing Ingredients
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoon lime juice.
- 2½ Tablespoon stevia
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- Remove any visible fats from chicken breasts
- Add poultry seasoning in a pan of water, add the chicken breasts and in low heat cook for about 25 minutes, until the chicken in nicely cooked.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool.
- In a bowl mix lime juice, stevia and chicken broth, salt, black pepper and oil little by little, add more lime juice to suit your flavor preference.
- Put the julienne sliced cabbage in a bowl and add onions
- Cut into slices the cooled chicken and add the cabbage mixture, add the dressing and toss for it to mix well
- In nonstick, put the almonds and toast on a low heat for about two minutes, add sesame seeds and toast for a minute until they are translucent
- Add the almonds and sesame seeds to the salad and toss well.
- Season with salt and black pepper and serve.
Tofu and eggplant in Asian Marinade Recipe
Ingredients (7 Servings)
- 2 cups firm Tofu
- 2 Tablespoon corn oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 Tablespoon ginger paste
- 8 Asian Eggplants thinly sliced
- 1 Capsicum cut into Julienne strips
- 5 medium sized onions sliced (I just love onions in my food)
- 1 cup Thai basil
Ingredients for Marinade
- 6 Tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Corn oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1½ Tablespoon fish sauce and 1Tablespoon stevia to make a sauce.
- Remove the tofu from its package and drain using the colander.
- When it’s dry, cut into an inch square.
- In a bowl put the dried and cut tofu; marinate it with soy sauce, corn oil, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- In a chopping board, slice the Asian Eggplant and set aside.
- Drain the marinated tofu in a colander; you can put it in between two paper towels for it to completely dry.
- Don’t discard the extracts from the marinated tofu; we will add the sauces and used it later on stage.
- Heat a nonstick pan on a medium heat, put the corn oil and ginger and garlic paste, keep turning for 30 seconds so that it doesn’t burn.
- Add the Tofu slices, keep turning until they brown on both sides, put it on a plate and set aside.
- Add another Tablespoon of oil and put the Egg plants, keep turning and let it cook for four minutes, add the red capsicum and cook while turning for another two minutes.
- Add the set-aside tofu, keep and cook for one minute.
- Add the sauce and cook for four minutes, let the flavor mix well together.
- Add the Thai basil, cook for a minute and serve hot
South Beach Diet Possible Side effects
The side effects are mostly experienced in phase one, after phase one, the other two phrases are simpler to deal with. The good news is that they will come to pass. Just focus on the end result.
Among the side effects experienced is fatigue, headaches, irritability, moodiness
Irritability and moodiness: This may be due to low blood sugar
Fatigue: due to losing of fluids, constant intake of water is advised.
A headache: Could be caused by dehydration, keep your body hydrated by drinking enough water.
NOTE: visit your health care provider before embarking on any weight loss diet.
Conclusion and recommendation
South beach diet menu can easily be incorporated into any family menu. It gives recipes for different foods that can be eaten with the whole family, apart from living a healthy life and losing weight, it provide shopping guidelines, instead of buying groceries just for the sake of buying, you get into a habit of checking each product label and its nutrients.
Initially, it was created with a sole purpose of helping Overweight people suffering from heart problems, but now it is used for anybody and everybody who wants to lose the excess fat and live a healthy life. It’s divided into three phases; the first phase is the most difficult, phase two is working towards your set weight goal and phase three is about maintaining the newly acquired weight.